Monday, July 5, 2010



Actual Date of post: June 28, 2010 (blogspot makes one reverse order the dates of posts in order for them to show up chronologically on the site)

Back in Michigan, Kurt Haney, a gentleman from our church, Clarkston Free Methodist, goes on at least one mission trip per year. One thing that he did often was find a decent quality lower cost guitar to take with him to lead worship, then leave with the local church or school at his destination.

I thought it was, and is, a great idea.

I leave for a mission trip to Peru soon, and wanted to carry on Kurt's great idea and share it with you here.

I found a decent Epiphone for sale on the local Craigslist, called the seller, made an offer, accepted his counter-offer, and agreed to meet at a local Wal-Mart parking lot to make the transaction.

He showed up with his younger brother, and as I was checking it out, he says "You can just have it. It will be a blessing to somebody that way." Then his younger brother, who has been fumbling with some cash (which I thought would make change if they thought I was going to pay with a $100), hands it to me and says "Here's 30$ - you can buy some strings and a strap with it."

Grace.... From teenage boys no less.

I had their home phone number and called their dad and let him know how proud he should be of his two teenage sons. He said that they had already called him and were excited about what they had just done.

I promised to send them a photo of the new recipient once the hand-off is made.

I'll post it here as well.

Going on a mission trip and play guitar? Take a lesson from Kurt Haney and these two teenage boys and spread the gift of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment